Consultant – Formative Research Participant Recruitment
IPHI Background: With a focus on the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia, the Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) builds partnerships across sectors and cultivates innovative solutions to improve health and well-being for all people and communities, particularly those most affected by health inequities. Our work strengthens service systems and public policy; enhances the environments and conditions in which people live, age, work, learn, and play; and builds organizational and community capacity to sustain progress.
Position Description: IPHI seeks one consultant to support recruitment for the program, “Project Engage: Engaging Gay ‘Community’ Activism for Syphilis Prevention 2.0”. IPHI is working with the National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) to conduct a series of focus groups with Black/African-American men who have sex with men (MSM) in Washington D.C. in May – July 2018. The focus groups will serve as a follow up to a series of semi-structured interviews conducted in early 2017 in version 1.0 of the project. The goal of 2.0 is to understand:
- The concept of community belongingness;
- Syphilis and PrEP knowledge, awareness, and opportunities; and
- Differences between the Black/African-American MSM and gay community and the larger MSM and gay community.
Findings will be used to enhance insights from version 1.0 as well as to inform the development of community engagement and mobilization efforts, and to refine and tailor current outreach and communication strategies for engaging cohorts of MSM in health initiatives.
Contractor Scope of Work:
- The recruitment of a total of 30-40 Black/African-American MSM throughout Washington, DC over 6-8 weeks sought via passive and active approaches. It will also entail administering a screening tool on interested parties.
- Approximately 10 – 15 hours per week.
- Approximately 30 – 50 flyer postings.
- Approximately 120 screening tools to be administered.
- Plan for recruitment and recruiting via virtual internet-based venues such as social media and/or sexual networking websites or mobile apps.
- Focus group scheduling:
- 4 groups: Two groups age 18-34, two groups age 35+; and
- 8 participants per focus group (32 participants total).
- Oversee a database including all screening data and scheduling information by focus group.
- Biweekly status reporting.
- Completion of required trainings and compliance with all requirements to support human subjects research.
- Demonstrated experience working with Black/African American MSM.
- Past recruitment and focus group planning experience preferred.
- Experience with data management preferred.
- Strong communication, cultural competence, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and a strong value for high-quality work products.
- Ability to engage diverse populations respectfully.
Location: IPHI is located at (1301 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC, 20036).
Travel: Travel within D.C. is required for this position.
Compensation: Contract rate will be based on experience and is negotiable.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume via email to [email protected]. Please put “Consultant – Project Engage” in the subject line of the email. Applications received by May 10, 2018 will receive priority. No phone calls, please.