Posted August 29, 2019
The Institute for Public Health Innovation (IPHI) develops multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being across Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Our work strengthens health systems and policy, enhances conditions that promote health, and builds community capacity to ensure equitable health opportunities for all.
Position Title: Outreach Specialist – Prince George’s County Health Connect
Position Available: Two positions in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Part-time or full-time work is available. Employment is contingent upon funding.
Program Overview: IPHI is seeking to hire two outreach specialists to support a contract with the Prince George’s County Department of Social Services (PGCDSS) through its Connector program, Prince George’s County Health Connect. Prince George’s County Health Connect provides access to education, information, and assistance for enrollment into health insurance to Prince George’s County residents through the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange. Community-based outreach, navigation, and education for consumers is an integral part of engaging the uninsured and underinsured through Prince George’s County Health Connect.
Reports to: IPHI Program Manager
Job Summary: The outreach specialists will identify community-based partners and faith-based groups to distribute collateral focused on coverage utilization, prevention and wellnesss, and coverage retention.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate outreach to non-profits, faith-based institutions, schools, retail and business services centers, and government agencies that serve the priority target populations.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct ACA outreach efforts in targeted geographic locations that are presently underserved.
- Staff tabling opportunities during outreach events, distribute collateral to small and large gathering places, across the County.
- Conduct street outreach in targeted communities.
- Participate in monthly PGC Health Connect learning collaborative meetings.
- Keep supervisor informed of all problems, challenges, and conflicts related to the job.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Prince George’s County resources, particularly safety net resources.
- Previous volunteer or paid experience conducting outreach preferred.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Strong cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with residents from all backgrounds.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Spanish/English bilingual preferred for one candidate.
- Energy, compassion, and sound practical judgment.
- Ability to work independently during periods of less supervision.
Education Requirements: A high school diploma or GED is required for this position. Exceptions may be granted with otherwise qualified candidates when a commitment to complete a GED within a certain time period is made in conjunction with the acceptance of employment.
Salary and Benefits: Salary is contingent upon available funding and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. IPHI offers a competitive and generous benefits package with vacation, personal and sick leave, health/dental/vision insurance, 403(b) retirement contributions, life and disability insurances for full-time employees working 30 hours per week.
Job Location: The outreach specialists will be employed by the Institute for Public Health Innovation (www.institutephi.org) which has an office located in Largo, Maryland. Much of the outreach specialists’ work will involve work in the community at various events and locations.
Travel: The outreach specialists will be required to travel throughout Prince George’s County, Maryland to connect to community-based organizations and for participation in outreach and enrollment events. Almost daily travel within Prince George’s County, Maryland is required for this position and thus a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle are required.
Additional Requirements: Employment is expected to begin in September 2019. Employees should expect to conduct outreach outside of traditional work hours, such as evenings and weekends, leading up to and during open enrollment.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, follow these instructions to upload a resume and cover letter to: http:www.institutephi.org/careers/PGCHealthConnect. Please use the following naming convention when saving your resume and cover letter: Last Name, First Name-Resume and Last Name, First Name-Cover. Indicate your preference for full-time or part-time employment in the cover letter. No phone calls, please.
The Institute for Public Health Innovation values a diverse, respectful, and collaborative work environment. We establish and maintain trustful relationships with all staff, contractors, funders, partners, and communities. We believe that hard work, a focus on quality, teamwork and a passion for the public’s health are required to contribute effectively to our mission.