Improving the Public’s Health Through Partnerships and Innovation
The Institute for Public Health Innovation is a facilitator, convener, and catalyst helping to bring about better health and well-being for all people and communities throughout Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
There are many sectors that have roles to play in optimizing community health. Ensuring healthy communities is not just the work of governmental public health departments, but also public and private organizations involved in medical care, housing, transportation, parks and recreation, land use planning, public safety, education, and many other areas. IPHI’s purpose is to work in collaboration across sectors in pursuit of innovative, prevention-oriented approaches to improving the public’s health and ensuring that all people and communities have equal opportunities to thrive and be healthy.
Together with its partners, IPHI works toward community health improvement in the following areas:
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating public health programs
- Providing technical assistance and project management support to community organizations and government
- Training the community health workforce
- Facilitating coordination and planning across sectors and jurisdictions
- Conducting policy analyses, providing objective information, and educating policymakers
- Conducting independent research and evaluation
- Leveraging national resources and bringing additional public health funding into the region
- Serving as a competent and neutral intermediary on behalf of foundations and government agencies