Simply put – IPHI adds capacity to the public health system.
We develop multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being. Our work strengthens health systems and policies, enhances conditions that promote health, and builds community resilience to ensure equitable health opportunities for all.
Started in 2009, IPHI is one of 42 public health institutes within the National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI). Public health institutes work with public and private partners to improve the public’s health, increase public health options by training the workforce, developing programs, and conducting research and evaluation. IPHI is the official public health institute serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.
IPHI is a facilitator, governor, and catalyst to help improve health and well-being for all communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia. To add capacity to the public health system, IPHI:
- designs, implement, and evaluate innovative health strategies
- facilitates cross-sector partnerships for health
- provides training, technical assistance, and capacity building support
- supports effective public policy
IPHI’s multi-disciplinary team includes staff located primarily out of offices in Largo, MD, Richmond, VA, and Washington, DC. For a full list of staff and bios, visit.
- Michael Rhein, President and CEO
- Michael Royster, Vice President
- Carolyn Padovano, Senior Program Director
- Abby R. Charles, Program Director
- Evelyn B. Kelly, Program Director
- Megan McPherson, Development Director
- Taya M. Jarman, Communications Director