Simply put – IPHI adds capacity to the public health system.
We develop multi-sector partnerships and innovative solutions to improve the public’s health and well-being. Our work strengthens health systems and policies, enhances conditions that promote health, and builds community resilience to ensure equitable health opportunities for all.
Starting in 2010, IPHI is one of over 40 public health institutes within the National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI). Public health institutes work with public and private partners to improve the public’s health and increase public health options by training the workforce, developing programs, and conducting research and evaluation. IPHI is the official public health institute serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.
IPHI is a facilitator, governor, and catalyst to help improve health and well-being for all communities throughout DC, Maryland, and Virginia. To add capacity to the public health system, IPHI:
- designs, implement and evaluate innovative health strategies
- facilitates cross-sector partnerships for health
- provides training, technical assistance, and capacity-building support
- supports effective public policy
IPHI’s multi-disciplinary team includes staff located primarily in offices in Washington, DC, Largo, MD, and Richmond, VA. For a full list of staff and bios, visit.
- Executive team:
- Michael Rhein, President and CEO
- Michael Royster, Vice President
- Carolyn Padovano, Senior Program Director
- Abby R. Charles, Program Director
- Evelyn B. Kelly, Program Director
- Megan McPherson, Development Director
- Taya M. Jarman, Communications Director